Hunter Newby – I Love Data Centers Podcast Episode 15
This week on the I Love Data Centers podcast: Meet Me Room and Internet Exchange Innovation in the Data Center Industry, I interview Hunter Newby.
Episode 15 – Meet Me Room and Internet Exchange Innovation in the Data Center Industry
Episode 15 Show Notes
- 2:16 Interview starts
- 3:48 Where Hunter comes from
- 6:21 How did you get involved in tech?
- 13:10 Hunter’s first experiences with computers
- 14:45 Hunter’s first experiences in data centers
- 19:36 What led you to want to work at places like MCI WorldCom?
- 21:00 Going to WorldCom for the first time
- 26:16 What it took to get Telx up and running
- 30:09 Did the bubble bursting in 2001 affect your business?
- 40:43 Thoughts on Open-IX (OIX)
- 44:57 Why has nobody revolted?
- 51:15 How Hunter got Telx to become Digital’s exclusive Meet Me Room Provider
- 58:51 When did things shift to charging for cross connects in Meet Me Rooms?
- 01:00:20 Where did the peering exchange come from?
- 01:16:39 What is one belief you hold that most people would find crazy?
- 01:20:36 What is a common misconception about the data center industry?
- 01:25:17 What is one of the most influential pieces of advice you received when you were young in the data center industry?
- 01:28:22 Hunter’s upcoming work, and how to get in touch with him